On 27.02.2011 02:46, Glenn Adams wrote:
My expectation (not hope) was that once we eliminated the pre-existing
findbugs, that new commits would not add new issues. Otherwise, it is a
pointless exercise. My conclusion is that since findbugs does indeed
identify some real and potential bugs, that it is worth using and that a
zero findbugs policy should apply.

Well, while findbugs indeed finds real issues and improves
maintainability of the code, I don't think I'd have enough
time to commit myself to examine each and every findbugs
complaint carefully, rather then just plaster it over with
an exception, and I think it's the same with Jeremias.

This doesn't mean "we throw it out." As of now, anybody is free
to run the findbugs target and fix issues which come up. Installing
a zero findbugs issues policy is a rather drastic step, which will,
believe it or not, raise barriers for contributions, divert
resources and possibly have some other undesirable effects, like
name calling on public lists. Unless we all are convinced we have
the resources to lead by example and that the positive effects of
a "zero findbugs issues" policy outweigh any possible drawbacks,
running findbugs should be voluntary.

However, saying all of the above, the largest barrier I see to fixing bugs
in FOP and improving its quality is the reticence of the clique of FOP
committers to accept new committers.

Uh oh. As a PMC member I'm certainly guilty of not following
contributions closely enough. Nevertheless, rest assured this
has nothing to do with some elitist attitude but rather with a
"I hope someone else will deal with this kind of aspects" stance,
aka a sort of laziness. I do not expect you to show sympathy for this
now, but in case you get the possibility to recruit someone else, and
realize the procedures necessary for this, you'll understand it
better (I might get some fun out of reminding you of this message
then).

HTH
J.Pietschmann