My apologies for mixing the FB discussion and the commitership issue, which
are indeed separate.

Of course, I have never said FB is a magic wand, etc., and indeed no such
tool is. One makes use of these tools as helpers, and not as determiners. Is
the trouble of using FB regularly worth it? I suppose it depends on one's
perspective. I find it extremely easy to use and easy to check the results.
It serves as merely one more filter on the build and dev process, and does
appear to be able to identify real bugs on occasion. Yes, there is
occasionally some chaff to deal with.

Then again, and perhaps to stretch an analogy, I recall working on the SDI
(strategic defense initiative) in the 80s, and observed an extraordinary
amount of effort and money spent to distinguish the decoy warheads from the
real warheads. Few were willing to argue that because there were 10 - 100
decoys for every real one, then it wasn't worth the trouble to separate
them. Are the "decoy" bugs (false positives) too much to bother with even if
FB finds a few real ones? Personally, I think so.

Now, regarding commitership, I must say that if I were already a committer,
I would probably have already fixed all the current FB exclusions or
documented the chaff as acceptable. However, having to go through other
committers to fix up all these issues is simply too much pain, partly
because it places more delays into the process and makes it harder to
implement such fixes in the face of a moving target. Having spent at least 8
months contributing to FOP, I find it disconcerting that (1) I am still
waiting feedback about committer status, (2) I have not even been
acknowledged as a contributor (see
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/team.html). Frankly, the process appears
to be broken.

G.