Vincent, you can be sure that I don't like pushing any more than you like
hearing it. At the same time, I am dissatisfied with the delays in taking
action, and I believe it is an impediment to my ability to contribute. And
it is becoming an impediment to my willingness to contribute as well. I have
heard it expressed here a few times that committer status is viewed as a
form of reward. I think that is the wrong way to look at it. A better way is
to view it as a calculated risk (on the part of the PMC) in exchange for
greater positive work and progress in the near term. It would be better to
have a process that can quickly assign committer status on a candidate or
temporary basis and then make a subsequent decision on making it permanent.
This creates a sort of probationary status during which the candidate
committer's work is under perhaps greater scrutiny and can be more easily
revoked. A problem with the current approach is that it tends to squelch
initial levels of high interest, when the most benefits can be accrued from
contributions. I'm not saying this just for my own benefit either; I believe
the FOP project needs to find ways to accelerate its work, and that means
recruiting committers more quickly than more slowly. It would be useful to
know the typical period of granting committer status in other ASF projects,
and correlating this period to the rate of development in the projects.

G.