David Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I would be curious to find a list of what entities are in and what aren't.
> Also, I presume I can use a numeric code (&#number; - or &amp;#number;) to
> reference the character directly. However, it seems like a list of those
> numbers and their corresponding characters is a little too basic for the
> FOP documentation or the usual reference materials. I assume there's a
> relevant ISO document - anybody know what it is?

The relevant standards bodies are the Unicode Consortium and the W3C.

The authoritative mapping of HTML entity names to their character
code is at  http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/entities.html
You can cut&paste the character entites directly from that page.
There may be other ressources which are more comfortable to use,
look at http://www.zvon.org for example.

The Unicode character index starts at
  http://www.unicode.org/charts/charindex.html
They use hexadecimal numbers, use them like &#x<paste here>;
Do not use &amp;#whatever, this will be shown as &#whatever;
in your result. You might want to read the XML spec for details,
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006#sec-references

Of course, whether the characters are displayed correctly depends
on the fonts installed for FOP, the font selected, and perhaps
the fonts installed on the machine where the resulting PDF is
finally viewed. Whether a HTML entity is defined for a particular
is irrelevant.

HTH
J.Pietschmann