Wow. I've been on this listserv for less than two hours, and I'm already
receiving emails comprised of snarky infighting and character assassination.

Honestly, it's my fault. I was warned. I've heard from many sources, i.e.
young experimental filmmakers, that this listserv was a space of
negativity, where people were shamed and attacked over the most innocuous
things.

Still, as a new filmmaker who draws inspiration from the traditions of
experimental and independent film, I figured I'd sign up. I figured it
couldn't be that bad, that I could surely draw inspiration from artists
with a lifetime of experience, and that it could enrich my practice and
inspire me.

But, well, no. They were right, I was wrong.

And I'm not trying to clog my inbox with old grudges and hostility.

The writer Ben Marcus said: "Anyone who believes that you can make art from
language is part of a small, nearly-vanishing community, and we should all
form a wedge and march on the enemy."

I think the basic sentiment applies to experimental film as well.

You should all maybe give this some thought.

Best,

[unsubscribed]