smo wrote:

Hi,

What's so special about current game console DVD formats that render
them uncopyable on a PC? They do contain somewhat standard DVD
characteristics,
don't they?

I've tried researching this topic and all I came up was vague
suggestions about the discs having a fake TOC and a proper TOC on a
second layer. If I were to make a bit-for-bit copy of a game DVD (say
if a PC DVD drive could do that), how would the console tell it apart
from an original disc?

-smo
How can a CD-RW drive determine a CD-R from a CD-RW? It's the disc substrate material. It refelects different light fequencies, which makes all the difference. You may want to try the original type of DVD-R from the late 90's.