> Um, I'm still alive but can someone explain me why this can't be a
> "regular" port?  Being useful to some but not the majority, no other
> parts of the system depending on it, this looks like a model citizen
> in the ideal ports world. :)

Because we loose control over it.  There is a move to push some things
out of the base system and into ports.  Fine, but then how does bug fixes
happen?  I believe the committed that fixed the f2c problems on the Alpha
really liked having the abilility to do so.

For many parts of the system, I really think we need to make the optional
and installable as ports, but the *maintance* of them should stay along
our traditional means.

--
-- David    (obr...@nuxi.com  -or-  obr...@freebsd.org)