David O'Brien wrote:
> > Um, I'm still alive but can someone explain me why this can't be a
> > "regular" port?  Being useful to some but not the majority, no other
> > parts of the system depending on it, this looks like a model citizen
> > in the ideal ports world. :)
>
> Because we loose control over it.  There is a move to push some things
> out of the base system and into ports.  Fine, but then how does bug fixes
> happen?  I believe the committed that fixed the f2c problems on the Alpha
> really liked having the abilility to do so.

David, I'm the person who pointed out the problems with f2c on
alpha, and my alphastation does not run FreeBSd, yet.
Indeed, there were some changes on netlib that deal
with 64bit issues and alignment on page boundaries that now exist
in the port (and these change may not be in the base distribution).

I sent Joerg a patch for current that was 35KB in size.

--
Steve

finger ka...@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~clesceri/kargl.html