On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Rather than break the FreeBSD4 modules over which you have no control,
> :perhaps your arguments should be used to accelerate the 5.0 release
> :and make 4.x a short lived branch.
>
>     I don't think this is possible.  4.0 is the most stable release we've
>     ever had, and I am confident that the 4.x series of releases will be
>     the best in FreeBSD's history probably until 5.1 or 5.2.

It's all in the name. I don't disagree with your assesment of the code bases.
However, I consider your SMP changes VERY destablizing; they BREAK
lots of modules :-(
I'm sure that we will get over it and have something that settles into a
quite solid product.

However, we COULD branch FreeBSD5 off of the FreeBSD4 branch rather than
the head and call the head branch something else which would get released as
FreeBSD6 or FreeBSD 2000 or ...