>    I don't consider it inefficient.  Sure, if you look at this one aspect
>    of the caching taken out of context it may appear to be inefficient,
>    but if you look at the whole enchilada the memory issue is nothing
>    more then a minor footnote - not worth the effort of worrying about.

This is like saying that there is nothing to be gained by making better
use of available cache memory.  I don't care that the cache is dynamic
and caches the right things when the cache is effectively made so small
that it doesn't cache my working set.  Even with VMIO turned on for
directories, Linux kicks our ass in caching meta-data unless you have
a lot of memory.  That sucks.

--
Justin