At 10:39 AM -0700 8/27/01, John Baldwin wrote:
>On 27-Aug-01 Daniel Eischen wrote:
>  > I think waiting for 6.0-current is too long.  Perhaps after 5.0-release.
>>  If we get this in 5.0, we might be able to have a usable kse threads
>>  library for 5.1 or 5.2.
>I'm predicting a short release cycle between 5.0 and 6.0 (compared
>to 4.0 and 5.0) because 6.0 is probably going to be much more stable
>than 5.x.

"5.0" (or whatever name it will go by) is slated for November, right?
And the plan was that a new 6.0-current branch wouldn't even be STARTED
until sometime next year, because we'll be concentrating on the
reliability of 5.x.  These kernel changes have to go in before anyone
can work on userland changes.  My guess is that if we do not get the
KSE kernel stuff into 5.0, then we probably won't get to the desired
userland features until sometime WELL into 2003.  Maybe that's better
than the gap between 4.0 and 5.0, but I think it's too long to have
these changes waiting around.

At the kernel summit meeting, Julian was given a green light with the
timetable of getting this set of changes done by August.  Right now it
is pretty late in August, but (thanks partially to help from others)
that schedule has basically been kept to.  It would be nice to reward
that effort by getting these changes in.

Having said that, let me also say:

In a separate message, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>So I propose:
>Put up your patches in a highly visible place and advertise them on
>-current, -arch and -smp.
>Once at least 5 developers have publically said "I'm running these
>patches on my -current machine(s) and it doesn't totally hose me"
>and at least 3 of those machines are SMP and one is non-i386
>architecture, then call for "last orders before commit".

This does seem prudent to me.  We should have at least a few more
people running these changes before they get committed to current,
and preferably on more than the i386 platform.  If we are going to
be serious about supporting more hardware platforms, then we have
to start treating them more seriously when major changes like this
come along.  If we can't get some broader testing of this done in
the next few weeks, then the changes should probably wait until
after "5.0".

All the above are just my opinions, of course.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer           or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To Unsubscribe: send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message

Reply via email to