Mark wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Seaman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 9:54 AM
Subject: Re: FreeBSD and AMD power management

Try the ports/sysutils/fvcool port ---
http://www.nt.phys.kyushu-u.ac.jp/shimizu/

Using it has cut the average CPU temperature on my system from
about 70C to about 50C.

It looked interesting; so I checked it out. Then it turns out this
power-safe mode on your AMD CPU is disabled by default for a good reason: it
makes your system unstable, and/or causes it to hang. Then cool is suddenly
not so cool anymore. :(

You have somewhat misread the docs.
To "prove" this, nobody using fvcool has reported instability on this or any other list. All HAVE reported a drop in CPU temperature of around 20C. In my case that means dropping from 55C to 35C.

--
Brian