I tried updating today to the new code, it seemed to make it worse and never get decent ping times. With the code from before, it's dependent on boot, either it will work fine on boot or fail.

But it has to be related to the "handled npkts 0" message. When I'm getting no messages, it's perfect. The number and speed of the messages is the inverse of the network quality. When it's an intermittent loss, it degrades a couple seconds before the messages start.