On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 04:05:30PM +0200, rai...@ultra-secure.de wrote:
> Am 2016-08-16 15:48, schrieb Borja Marcos:

> > > FreeBSD
> > >
> > > /dev/ada2p1 on /home/db (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> > >

> > > Linux:
> > > /dev/mapper/system-lvm--home /home           ext4    defaults
> > > 0       2
> > >

> > > What does "defaults" mean, BTW?
> >
> > That’s the mother of the lamb, we use to say in Spain ;)
> >
> > I guess it depends on the particular distribution, not just on being
> > ext4. Is there a tool similar to
> > dumpfs on Linux?
>

> Apparently, it's in
> cat /proc/mounts
>
> /dev/mapper/system-lvm--tmp /tmp ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
> /dev/mapper/system-lvm--var /var ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
> /dev/mapper/system-lvm--home /home ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
> /dev/mapper/system-lvm--varlog /var/log ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
>

> > You can also experiment with the FreeBSD options, maybe it will be a
> > quicker route. Try to mount as asynchronous.
> > In case it  makes a big difference, you got it.
>
> But I don't really want to mount it asyncronous.
> Would it help to have journaling?
>
> Or is soft-updates already the "optimum"?

I'm not saying it's not possible, but are you sure this slowdown is caused
by the disk? It's certainly a possibility, but I would like to make sure
it's caused by that before jumping into conclusions.

Can you load the full database in RAM and perform the same test. TBH, I
don't use MariaDB, so I'm not sure what's the best way to achieve this, but
a quick search on google shows there are multiple ways. In any case, make
sure with iostat that the database is not read from the disk.

Roger.