Hello!

I'm wondering if it would be possible to create a client for Freeciv
which can be viewed in a web browser? Something like an Ajax-based
Javascript client for Freeciv?

I've been experimenting with the javascript canvas [1] API which is available in Mozilla and Safari. I think it should be possible to implement an isometric mapview using it. Google is working on adding canvas support to IE also[2].

So one approach could be to implement a client using javascript, which
communicates with a web server using ajax. The web server could be an
instance of the current Freeciv C client, which is modified to communicate
with the ajax client using a HTTP library such as Mihl[3].

A web client would make it easier for people to get quick access
to playing the game. And such a web client could be used for spectators to games, etc. Something like Google maps, only for Freeciv..

[1] http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Drawing_Graphics_with_Canvas
[2] http://excanvas.sourceforge.net/
[3] http://sourceforge.net/projects/mihl/

Ps! Nice to see that Freeciv 2.1 is looking so nice and ready for release
hopefully soon.

 - Andreas