Daniel Markstedt wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 11:41 PM, Marko Lindqvist<cazf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/7/8 John Keller <free...@johnkeller.com>:
>>> Patch-for-bug vs. patch-for-new feature might seem clear to those
>>> involved for a time,
>>  The fact it's sometimes hard to say if patch is new feature or bugfix
>> (it's sometimes disputable if old behavior is a bug) is the reason I
>> started posting all patches to just bugtracker - just like we used to
>> do with RT.
>>  For example: If I would write a patch that would remove despotism
>> penalty of -1 from tiles producing more than 2 food/shield/trade, I
>> would of course send it to features tracker since there is no bug in
>> current behavior. However, people are regularly filling bugreports
>> about how they get only 2 food/shield/trade from some tile that should
>> yield 3. They would check bugtracker, not feature tracker.
>>
>>> [...]
>
> In such a case I would give the bug duplicated status but leave it
> open, and then add a reference to the patch. Users who experience the
> bug will find the bug and can click through to the patch to see
> current status.
>
> How about this for the definitions of bug and patch:
> * A patch is an issue for which you have prepared a fix or is planning
> to prepare a fix yourself. Typically used by regular contributors.
> * A bug is an issue for which you do not have a fix and wish for
> someone else to find one. Typically used by users.

Well, I think the crux of the issue is that, if you have to define a
policy, then there will always be people who ignore it or are unaware of
it. I'm speaking from some very practical experience in a similar
situation. :-)

You guys certainly go ahead an implement whichever solution you prefer,
I for one will be happy to follow it. But for your own sanity, I'd
strongly recommend simply using a single reporting system and tagging
patches yourselves as appropriate (like a bug triage team might do). Or
even display instructions on the form telling the (patch/bug)-filer to
add that tag at submittal time.

That way, the very worst case is a patch that isn't tagged correctly
instead of some patches languishing alone or your having to tell people
to resubmit the patch on the other tracker ("other" being possible in
either direction).

- John