By looking into a city - I mean left clicking on a city that is owned by a
team mate to get the Unit Selection dialog box.

It does not matter if I have units in the city or not. It does not matter if
the other player is online at the time or not.

This is a client error - my client will crash but the server will stay running
and those connected at the time will not notice anything. My guess is this
crash is somehow server related, either because of a slow server or network
lag. The client is expecting data from the server in a certain time frame. If
it doesn't get that data it crashes.