Hi!

4-Янв-2008 14:21 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alain M.) wrote to
freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net:

>> AM> The proble is two fold: first it causes compatibility
>> AM> problems, sencond there is *very* few programs around that would use it
>> AM> anyway and it would be logical that *these* programs have instructions
>> AM> to activate it.
>>      Alain, talking about disabling/enabling through command line
>> completely, API doesn't have (yet?) functions to enable wheel support.
AM> What I said and some people agreed is to *change the default* to
AM> whatever is more compatible.

     "programs have instructions to activate it".

>> AM> YES i have made it for 1.6b, all MS Logitech are intercangeable on the
>> AM> fly. I still use that version because all my improvements were
>> AM> disregarded :(
>>      Not all. :) But code of handlers was hardly changed in those times,
>> and there was also target to minimize resident part size as much, as
>> possible, whereas "autoswitch" may have own side effects. For example, with
>> autoswicth we not know (can't know) how much buttons currently attached
>> mouse have or if current mouse have wheel or not, and this makes useless
>> checking BX after INT 33/0000 (should always contain 3 for serial mice) or
>> bit 0 of CX after INT33/11 (will/should always be set). And, if some app
>> wish to change its behavior depending on presence 3rd button/wheel in mouse,
>> then such app's behavior change will be invalid if there attached
>> 2-button/non-wheel mouse.
AM> I DISAGREE.

     With what?

AM> No discuttionon that matter because *have it working* so
AM> everything else is vain philosophy.

     If you not have problems with your set of apps doesn't mean that there
not exist apps, which will have problems with changed on the fly mouse type.

AM> correcting:
>> AM> 100% tested
>> AM> in the field when serial mice where commmon.
>> No. There was idea for it support, but it was excluded after some
>> testing.
AM> Please don't get too philosophical about button numbers, wheel and byte
AM> numbers. I just used some very dirty tricks, it usualy is resynched
AM> after very few packets and *never* an extra click is generated.

     Alain, above talking about support middle button through MS protocol
extension (when mouse returns middle button press event as L+R press state).
This not relates to auto-switch.