Hi!

> >>   /3       - force 3-button mode (for Microsoft and PS/2 mice only)
> >>              force wheel support (for PS/2 mice)
> >> BTW, /3 option was used to force middle button support through L+R
> It has effect - without it, PS2 handler will not return info about 3rd

Well but then /3 only affects reporting now, not protocol.
Bit for middle button is the same in PS2 whether or not a
middle button exists. Enabling wheel support, on the other
hand, is a serious thing which involves switching to 4 byte
protocol and doing a handshake, both of which can hang the
PC if you have a bad BIOS or bad USB PS2 emulation. So the
option to enable the wheel should stay a SEPARATE option
from the "change reported button count but keep same proto".

> EA> The "enable PS2 wheel" option should have another name then.
>
> Why not /3? It already there and already does half of work (wheel
> support is linked with 3rd button support).

Not for PS2 mice. In PS2, wheel support is linked with 4th / 5th
button support, but I believe CuteMouse does not read the 4th and
5th buttons yet anyway :-). And for COM port mice, as you say, a
/3 option is no longer relevant for the protocol because L+R=M is
not supported any more anyway. So as said - today, /3 does something
simple (report 3rd button if PS2 even if PnP said there are 2) but
an "enable PS2 wheel" option does something complicated (allow the
driver to do wheel init setup at startup) and should be used with
more care than the /3 option.

Eric