For some extra details about the COUNTRY settings idea :-)

> if the DOSBOX simulated DOS kernel is missing country functionality
> and you do not want to boot freedos (because you do not want to use
> diskimages) then you could load a TSR which answers COUNTRY requests
> by freecom command.com with country preferences of your choice :-)

You basically need a very simple "int 21h function AH=38h" TSR tool...

Sub-function AL=0: Fills buffer at DS:DX, passed by the user, with a
table, clears carry, sets BX to country code. Table format from RBIL:

> Offset  Size    Description     (Table 01399)
>  00h    WORD    date format [0=M-D-Y, 1 D-M-Y, 2 Y-M-D, which is yours?]
>  02h  5 BYTEs   ASCIZ currency symbol string [not relevant for you?]
>  07h  2 BYTEs   ASCIZ thousands separator [you want this to be 20h, 00h]
>  09h  2 BYTEs   ASCIZ decimal separator [not relevant for you?]
>  0Bh  2 BYTEs   ASCIZ date separator [you did not specify your preference]
>  0Dh  2 BYTEs   ASCIZ time separator [you did not specify your preference]
>  0Fh    BYTE    currency format [not relevant for you?]
>                 bit 2 = set if currency symbol replaces decimal point
>                 bit 1 = number of spaces between value and currency symbol
>                 bit 0 = 0 if currency symbol precedes value
>                         1 if currency symbol follows value
>  10h    BYTE    number of digits after decimal in currency [not relevant?]
>  11h    BYTE    time format [you say you want 24h time, so make this 1]
>                 bit 0 = 0 if 12-hour clock
>                         1 if 24-hour clock
>  12h    DWORD   address of case map routine [could point to RETF opcode]
>                 (FAR CALL, AL = character to map to upper case [>= 80h])
>  16h  2 BYTEs   ASCIZ data-list separator [not relevant? who uses this?]
>  18h 10 BYTEs   reserved [so not relevant for you by definition...]

You apparently want country code to be 2 (Canadian French). You can
also load DISPLAY and use MODE to load the codepage 863 font if the
required VGA BIOS functionality is supported in DOSEMU - I think yes.

You can use DEVLOAD to load SYS drivers from the shell prompt, as it
seems from your earlier mail that DOSBOX barely does any config sys?

The additional sub-functions 1 to -1 with DX = -1, probably are not
relevant for you. Those are for on the fly country config changes.

In MS DOS 7 (Win95's DOS) mode, there would also be int 21h function
set 70h with various sub-functions, but I doubt that freecom makes
any attempts to query those.

Regards, Eric