Hi Thraex,

> Er, may I ask why you don't want to normalize into a single file format?

Simply because somebody has to create and maintain the infrastructure.
Jerome seems to be motivated to do that, at the moment...

 - extract package specific translation files from packages
 - convert to uniform format
 - maintain central repository of text files in uniform format
 - incoming translation contributions as trigger
 - store updated uniform format files, track versions
 - convert to package specific format
 - compile updated package with updated sources
 - distribute updates to package maintainers, if any exist

> I guess it's not easy on the i18n and conversion side of things, but for
> translators having a gettext po file is much more efficient. No need to
> navigate a plain text file to spot missing translations or new strings

How hard that is depends a lot on how much translateable text
a specific app contains and how much the translator is used to
a specific toolchain, such as gettext po editors.

>> That would require a translation coordinator to exist and feel
>> like doing this (...)
>
> That was exactly the goal of freedoslocal, that's why I miss it.

Which leads to the question why Mateusz abandoned it in 2016.
Either it was too much work or there were too few fresh text
translations coming in per period of time to maintain it?

> No further translation updates will be managed. I decided to give up on
> freedoslocal in favor of Svarog386, hence this website has been frozen

So how is Svarog386 doing and does that have translations, too?
I vaguely remember it being a complete small FreeDOS distro?

Regards, Eric