Freedos needs to remain backwards compatible with 8086 cpu. Perhaps, a
protected mode 386/486 kernel can be made and allow user or real mode kernel to
decide (autodetect) which to use at boot up.

--chris
http://nxdos.sourceforge.net/

Florian Xaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:the idea of a modern OS called DOS. I
am using all of new
software/drivers which are available. If FreeDOS 1.1 or 2.0 will not
include an "enhanced configuration" I will think of an own
distribution.

DOS stands for me: compatiblity of old and new software, modular
design, possibility of 16-Bit, 32-Bit, real and protected mode. And of
a very very fast and small operating system.