> > I think MS-OOXML also has binary files inside for printer
> > settings or similar sometimes. While the full office formats
> > are indeed extremely complex, you can often get a quite good
> > idea of the text content by unzipping the XML inside which has
> > the focus on content, as opposed to layout etc, and then
> > removing all XML tags and attributes. Example:

> > <fancyname fancyproperty="greenish">Hello</fancyname>
> >
> > ...would simply be reduced to "Hello", easy to read in DOS.
> > Does anybody know a nice program for that for DOS? When in
> > doubt, you can always use the DJGPP port of GNU textutils,
> > for example the SED tool, to remove the XML markups... ;-)
>

> I know there is a program on Linux that does exactly that, but I forgot
> its name. Shouldn't be hard to find. If someone could port that...
>
> --
> Amedee

It wouldn't be too hard to write your own. Just scan through the file and
output everything except what's between "<" and ">".

The problem comes in if there's character codes like "&copy;". That was the
main issue I ran into when trying to write an HTML-to-plaintext converter.

Skyler

--
"Those who do not become dishonest or hostile are the most difficult to
debate. Addressing others in a respectful and considerate manner conveys