Eric Auer schrieb:
> Hi Michael,
>
>>> I do not think we should use code reversed from MS DOS sorry.
>> I think that too but it's no problem to reverse engineer the
>> specification as long you write your own implementation from scratch.
>>
>> Also the linux guys reverse engineered for example the Windows
>> networking protocol and implemented it their self (samba).
>
> They checked the protocol (transferred data) not the binary.
> It is kind of more noble to just sniff network contents and
> keep the software as it is, a black box with closed source.
>
> As DOS is no server, I think it is okay to look for example
> at data structures and how they change over time. This does
> leave the binary / machine code in nice black box land :-).
>
>> You could even look into their sources for interoperability reasons
>
> No because then I would have to "steal them" by downloading
> them from a dark source.

You can download them tell the police/microsoft, make a self-accusation
and see if you get sued, I highly doubt it.

Anyway,
- the one who uploaded the ms source code violated law and his
employment contract
- the one who provides a download for the ms source code (distribution)
is not allowed to distribute it
- the one who downloads it... What is his concrete criminal act?

It's like writing a book, someone steals it and puts it into public,
people grab it and read it. A stupid idea to sue them, for what by the way?

Even the leaked Windows source codes got revived and the developer
didn't get sued either. There are also parts of windows disassembled and
documented (such as the MBR) and no one ever got near to sued.

If you scare that already you should not go outside anytime, my risk
analysis says that your chances to die thought a flood are higher.

You can also simple download it and not telling it anyone (if you
haven't done that already out of curiosity), it will be a remaining
secret until the end of universe.

-mr