Eric Auer wrote:
>Please describe the failure in more detail. Tried with
>minimal drivers, HIMEM or HIMEMX and nothing else?

Tried it with the out-of-the-box FreeDOS setup in fdconfig.sys.  So whatever it
set up, I used.  I tried each of the 3 boot options at the beginning.  Every
time I run the program it says it can't find the overlay file.  The install
program says it can't find the edwin.com program.  The files all sitting in the
same directory.  If you want, you can pull down the program from the garbo
archive and see if it does any better on your machine.  I even tried running it
with HX extender and got the same results.

Any good text/programming editors that can handle switching between multiple
documents and with good keymapping support?  I really need an editor I can
remap the command keys with since I'm pretty used to using certain key
sequences.  I guess I can always get by on edit or pico or nano if I can't find
anything else.  One place I worked, we used to use Brief.  It was a nice
programming editor.

Mateusz Viste wrote:
>You'll need also GUS instruments to make it work with MIDI (I can >provide you
>GUS files if you won't be able to find them).

Timidity can also work with GUS patches.  I have the FreePats standard GUS
patch distribution.  FreePats is the only group I've found that's working on
Open Source patch and sf2 files.  By the way, they need volunteers.  So, if
anyone can record some instruments to share or wants to help out in any way,
please let them know.  The FreePats project site is:
http://freepats.zenvoid.org/

Found copies of Timidity for DOS:
http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/www.cgs.fi/tt/timidity/distribution.html
Now I just have to try to get it set up properly.  That's usually a nuisance.

Tried mpxplay.  Works fine on my machine for midi files.

Any good Karaoke players out there (for kar files)?  I'll see if I can get
Timidity working for that purpose, but there's a recent patch for midi karaoke
(kar) files created with abc2midi that I'm sure never made it into the older
builds of the program.

I also tried mplayer.  Seemed to work without crashing, although the display
jittered and there was a lot of text in the background.  Is there a version of
vlc or xine that works on DOS?

Eric Auer wrote:
>>FreeBASIC usually works very well and it has a QBASIC compat mode :-)

Don't need Qbasic, just basic.  Does FreeBASIC only compile or can it run
programs in interpreted mode?  Would prefer interpreted.  I still have my
Microsoft Basic Professional Compiler for DOS.  I bought the last version
before they switched to Visual Basic.  Any big differences between it and
FreeBASIC as far as building programs?  I tried out some old applications I'd
built using my Basic compiler on FreeDOS.  All of them seemed to run.  Only
issue was with sound, which doesn't appear to be working using the BASIC
commands.

I downloaded the latest version of pictview plus many of the files at
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/fdupdate/
Didn't see any instructions on how to update.  Hope unziping in the \FDOS
directory is okay, because that's what I did.  Still appears to be booting and
running okay.

Eric Auer wrote:
>HIMEM to HIMEMX, EMM386 to
> nothing or JEMM

Is there a web site or a how to with instructions on how to switch some of
these and which ones to use?  A sample fdconfig.sys with some of these would be
nice.

I've been trying for a few days now to get USB working.  Checked out the
FreeDOS wiki on the subject and the sites it pointed to and some others the
search engine brought up.  Tried at least 4 different methods.  Nothing seemed
to work.  I tried again after updating the kernel and other files today.  I put
the following in my fdconfig.sys:
2?DEVICE=C:\FDOS\USBDISK.SYS
and then ran dosuhci.  It crashed or hung a lot.  I did finally manage to get a
directory of my e: drive (USB flash drive).  The first time I try dir e: on a
drive it takes an incredibly long time to run, like 5 minutes or more.  Once it
showed the directory for a first time, performance got a little better.
However, trying to get a directory of my CD when this stuff is loaded crashed
my system.  Any tips on getting better performance from a USB drive?  I'm
thrilled I can at least get a directory some of the time and it seems to be
able to copy some files.  Does size of the USB drive affect how well it
performs?  Was wondering if I should stay with the smaller drives so it might
display the directory faster?  Hope this gets less buggy in future releases (of
FreeDOS and the USB driver).

Mateusz Viste wrote:
>Sure. You just posted to such mailing list ;-)

Okay, any suggestions on best basic command line options to use with djgpp or
OpenWatcom when compiling apps for FreeDOS?  Any special settings or
optimizations recommended?

I tried compiling lcal and pcal (at Sourceforge) yesterday and both built fine
with djgpp, but they have a djgpp makefile already.  I also tried diffh (also
at Sourceforge) with djgpp.  Had to copy the makefiles and .Tpo files from the
mingw build over in order to get it to compile, but then it built.  Any good
place to share applications or what patches are needed to get them building?

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/cpp