I picked up a copy of EDWIN from this Garbo mirror
   ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/garbo/pc/editor/
(2 weeks or more behind, but that shouldn't matter for an old DOS program.)

It works on my quirkiest PC, even when booting off the original FreeDOS 1.0 CD
as a live CD.

One thing I will note is that I was CDed into the directory that I unzipped the
files to.

   CD \
   MKDIR EDWIN
   CD EDWIN
   \ARC\PKUNZIP \WINDOWS\DESKTOP\EDWIN15C

>From there, I could run EDWIN.COM just fine.
Now, at that point, I would get the message about not being able to find the
overlay file if I were in another directory.

   CD \WINDOWS\DESKTOP
   \EDWIN\EDWIN
   Overlay file not found

but once I used EDWINST to tell EDWIN where its home directory is, I could run
EDWIN from any directory.

   CD \EDWIN
   EDWINST
   (enter, enter ... give the home directory as C:\EDWIN)
   CD \WINDOWS\DESKTOP
   \EDWIN\EDWIN

 LM -- does EDWIN work when you're CDed into the directory?
If not, does it work after replacing EMM386 with JEMM386?