> Notable things:
> edit

buggy (some PC's)

> perl

NOMYSO ???

> Georg Potthast is also doing experiments with a player for new hardware.

His "driver" now can play from memory so it became a real driver :-)

> > * BOCHS emulator (host OS = emulated OS = DOS)
> Or any other emulator, of course

QEMU or BOCHS only (BOCHS is slower and better)

> > > Is there a PNG viewer for FreeDOS?
> I guess you could use DISPLAY from our ImageMagick port

"DISPLAY" works for 95% of PNG's ... NOT from "ImageMagick port"

> I also tried mplayer.

For video, not sound.

> Seemed to work without crashing, although the display jittered and there
> was a lot of text in the background.

RTFM: "--really-quiet"

> Is there a version of vlc or xine that works on DOS?

VLC is very buggy (a few bugs got fixed ... but we are at 1.0rc4, not 0.20 ...)
and the GUI is horrible. I'm not aware of any efforts to port it to DOS.
The only benefit of VLC is OGG Dirac support.

> Don't need Qbasic, just basic.

???

> Does FreeBASIC only compile or can it run programs in interpreted mode?

Compile only.

>> HIMEM to HIMEMX, EMM386 to
>> nothing or JEMM
> Is there a web site or a how to with instructions on how to switch some of
> these and which > ones to use?  A sample fdconfig.sys with some of these
> would be nice.

REM DEVICE=HIMEMX.EXE
DEVICE=HIMEMX.EXE /NUMHANDLES=72
REM DEVICE=XMGR.SYS
REM DEVICE=EMM386.EXE NOEMS

DEVICE=SRDXMS.SYS
DEVICE=XDMA.SYS

> 2?DEVICE=C:\FDOS\USBDISK.SYS
> and then ran dosuhci.

Update DOSUHCI to DOSUSB.

> It crashed or hung a lot.

Confirm.

> did finally manage to get a directory of my e: drive (USB flash drive).
> The first time I try dir e: on a drive it takes an incredibly long time to
> run, like 5 minutes

A well known FAT28 design fault

> Does size of the USB drive affect how well it performs?

Huge FAT28 is evil.

> Was wondering if I should stay with the smaller drives so it might display
> the directory faster?

YES. < 1 GiB FAT16

> Hope this gets less buggy in future releases (of FreeDOS and the USB driver).

Me too. AFAIK fault of USB driver rather than DOS.

--