I completly disagree.

Just today I installed FreeDOS on a brand new Asus board with SATA2 a
gigabit ethernet chip.

Simple: go to www.netbootdisk.com and create a floppy. After it boots
and detects the NIC, copy it's driver including packet driver. Easy...

The truth is that if you have an application that is worth using with
FreeDOS, drivers exist :)

And it is damn fast

Alain