On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 23:10 -0300, Alain Mouette wrote:
> I completly disagree.
>
> Just today I installed FreeDOS on a brand new Asus board with SATA2 a
> gigabit ethernet chip.
>
> Simple: go to www.netbootdisk.com and create a floppy. After it boots
> and detects the NIC, copy it's driver including packet driver. Easy...
>
> The truth is that if you have an application that is worth using with
> FreeDOS, drivers exist :)
>
> And it is damn fast
>
> Alain

Command line Linux tuned properly is also fast where Linux supports more
network cards than Freedos does.  Another problem, how did you find out
that there is a driver for your particular card?  For Linux users, the
kernel supports a lot of network cards straight off.

Does Freedos support common nics such as:

Netgear Fa311/Fa312?

Thuderlan dual port 10/100 nics?

AOpen nics?

Tulip nics?

Other nics?

I stand by my statement that TCP/IP and DOS are probably not the best
combination.  DOS does not protect the hardware from programs that
execute, because it can't.  DOS cannot stop viruses/worms very easily
because it doesn't shield the hardware in the first place.  This is
all the more reason to avoid connecting to global networks from a
DOS based environment.

How about DOSbox, Virtualbox, and VMWARE nics?  Can Freedos use any
virtual NICS?