> From: Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] Sound Blaster 16 issues...
>
> Hi,
>    Are you running latest FreeDOS kernel and HIMEMX + JEMM386?
> (Somehow I doubt it.) Try upgrading a few of your system files and try
> again. Else try booting a somewhat cleaner config without a lot of
> extra TSRs and drivers. You'll have to give more details, though, for
> further guesses.
That helped; I updated the kernel and installed JEMMEX in place of
HIMEM.EXE and EMM386.EXE. CTSB16.SYS now loads without issue. SBCD.SYS
still crashes, however; JEMM seems to be catching some kind of
protection fault. Here's the output, now that it politely prints one
message instead of perpetually scrolling up the screen ;)

JemmEx: exception 0D occured at CS:EIP=09DE:00010000, ERRC=00000000
SS:ESP=09DE:00002CE8 EBP=F8002D02 EFL=00033286 CR0=80000013 CR2=00000000
EAX=00000000 EBX=000099FF ECX=00000000 EDX=000009DE ESI=01709087 EDI=000A9087
DS=9DC6 ES=9DC6 FS=C81F GS=09DE [CS:IP]=00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Press ESC to abort program

It goes on to produce an indefinite number of further errors, the only
difference being that EFL increments by random amounts and [CS:IP] now
contains FF FF FF FF 00 C8 51 11. Not sure what all of that is
relevant, but unless someone can tell me how to get a core dump in the
middle of the boot process, that's all I can offer at the moment.

> From: Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de>
> Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] Sound Blaster 16 issues...
>
> That is odd... ATAPI CDROM should be very similar to any IDE
> as far as I remember, so I am not sure whether it is truly
> not possible to run them on your old main IDE controller...
>
> Of course soundcard CDROM tended to so somewhat incompatible
> so I would not expect those to run with any other controller.
Yeah, that's the problem. According to everything I've read, it's not
a standard IDE interface, it only works with SB16. I could just track
down a separate controller and a newer CD-ROM, I suppose, but I'd
prefer to work with what I have for the moment.