Hi,

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:09 PM, John Ames <commodorej...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> From: Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] Sound Blaster 16 issues...
>>
>>    Are you running latest FreeDOS kernel and HIMEMX + JEMM386?
>> (Somehow I doubt it.) Try upgrading a few of your system files and try
>> again. Else try booting a somewhat cleaner config without a lot of
>> extra TSRs and drivers. You'll have to give more details, though, for
>> further guesses.
>
> That helped; I updated the kernel and installed JEMMEX in place of
> HIMEM.EXE and EMM386.EXE. CTSB16.SYS now loads without issue. SBCD.SYS
> still crashes, however; JEMM seems to be catching some kind of
> protection fault. Here's the output, now that it politely prints one
> message instead of perpetually scrolling up the screen ;)

Try "JEMMEX X=TEST I=TEST" since by default I think it's less careful
than it perhaps could be regarding UMBs. Or even read the docs and try
the ultra super safe option. Hmmm, lemme find and quote it (for
convenience):  "X=A000-FFFF NOHI NOVME NOINVLPG"  (if that doesn't
work, nothing will).

BTW, this is a naive question, but do you really need EMS? If not,
avoid JEMM386 altogether and just load HIMEMX (or XMGR or FDXMS or
similar). It may avoid some rare problems (including this one, though
I halfway doubt it without trying it). And if you also really need
UMBs, you could try UMBPCI, but I doubt that would fix anything.