> On a semi-related note, I think you can boot Win 3.x inside DOSEMU,
> DOSBox, etc. Even Mike Chambers' Fake86 can (mostly) boot it. There
> may even be some experimental support on some of those for booting
> Win9x, but since that's uninteresting to me, I've never delved deeper.

This is irrelevant to DOS compatibility when booting a DOS inside any of
them. It'd only be interesting whether DOSBox's built-in DOS is able to
load (any) MS Windows.

> MS-DOS / Win9x forced you to install in the very beginning of the hard
> drive. DR-DOS can install in subsequent partitions but has some weird
> limit regarding mounting and seeing previous partitions. FreeDOS is
> the most flexible in that it can see and use anything.

I don't think the FreeDOS kernel does properly boot from (or "install in")
file systems inside extended partitions. Even if you manage to boot it
(possibly using GRUB), the kernel probably won't correctly determine the
"boot drive".

Regards,
Chris