Am 14.08.2014 um 17:51 schrieb dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Mateusz Viste <mate...@viste.fr> wrote:
>
>> But the question now is different (I took the liberty to change the
>> subject of this message accordingly): where would you put applications
>> that need to be reachable from %PATH% ?
>
> There's a discussion elsewhere
> about when to *stop* trying to automate and punt an edge case to the
> user.  This strikes me as such a place.  Let the user specify a
> location other than default, but if they do and it needs to be in
> %PATH%, it's up to them to add it to %PATH%.

Yes I know, it's just the PATH statement and DOS users should know their
AUTOEXEC.BAT.

But on the other hand we are talking about a package manager. And as everyone
has learned either from apt-get or from App Store: If you've installed
something, it's ready to run. There might be some user settings left to be
configured, but in general it should just work.

And I think this is a good thing.

Making things complicated is not a virtue. If someone thinks otherwise, he
should have met my Ex. :-)