On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 9:49 AM, Marcos Favero Florence de Barros
<fav...@mpcnet.com.br> wrote:
> Hi Dale, Dennis,
>
> From: dennis.mccun...@gmail.com on Tue, 3 Feb 2015 16:56:48
>>> Everybody seems to run DOS under something else like
>>> Windows.
>> Because everyone else runs something other than DOS as their main OS.
>
> Just for the record: not everyone else. I run DOS in real
> hardware as the main OS :-)
>
> (Puppy) Linux is secondary, basically for browsing.

I sit partially corrected.  *Almost* everyone else runs something else
as their main OS. :-)

I have Puppy here.  It's quirky, and I was nonplussed by a Linux where
you *always* run as root (and indeed, the ability to use other IDs has
been removed.)  Puppy is installed on an ancient notebook because it's
designed for low end hardware. That box also multi-boots Win2K,
Ubuntu, and FreeDOS, and when I boot it I probably run Ubuntu.  (I
first learned *nix on AT&T Unix System V Release 2 back before Linux
was a gleam in Linus Torvald's eye.  My notions of what a standard
*nix system is were set by that, and Puppy is a little *too*
non-standard for me.  I prefer to run as a normal user, and acquire
root via su only when required.  It usually isn't.)

> Cheers,
> Marcos
______
Dennis