Hey, so I tried RUFUS (which only runs in windows, right?).  I
used fd11src.iso

Upon booting from the flash drive, I get the blue screen which has the
options of
Install to harddisk
Create drive C:
Boot from system harddisk
boot from diskette

If I choose Install to harddisk, I get this:
Freedos 1.1 can be installed to the following destination drive:

Current fixed disk drive: 1

Partition          Status     Mbytes             Description         Usage
  C: 1                   A          7530          FAT32 ext Int13
100%

SETUP wasn't able to locate any disks to install Freedos 1.1 from.

Please select any of the below choices:

f - Run fdisk to create/alter target active primary FAT partition...
c - Load driver for optical units .......

The fdisk options are
1. create dos partition or logical dos drive
2. set active partition
3. delete partition of logical dos drive
4. display partition information
5. chnage current fixed disk drive

If I choose number 4, I get a similar table as above:

Partition   Status    Type           Volume label      mbytes    system
usage
   c: 1          A         PRI DOS                               7530
 fat32ext    100%

No space to create a dos partition.
press esc to continue

It seems to detect only the flash drive in which I used RUFUS to install
freedos to, correct?  So there's no way to install freedos to the partition
of the hard drive, which is 400MB only.

Again, I've installed freedos in a partition of a harddrive successfully
using a cd. I did it twice without any error.

Thanks for your time.