Besides being full of crooks, eBay still can be a good source of
affordable hardware, but it requires a bit of patience. Just looking
now, I see there is a bunch of complete pentium systems with ISA slots
listed at below 10 Euros. Example:

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Mainboard-Elpina-9820-Pentium-II-266Mhz-2x64MB-RAM-Vintage-/272039197665?hash=item3f56ccbbe1:g:21IAAOSwAYtWPgip

(not my auction, not related to me, just first thing that got into my hands)

Of course it all depends where you live, shipping can be costly for
goods that need to cross an ocean.

Anyway, had you the occasion to test the Intel Gigabit packet driver I
suggested earlier? I'm curious to know whether it works on your onbord
LAN card.

cheers,
Mateusz