Hi Jerome,

> Mostly, I think your interpretation matches mine. However, when UIDE was
> used FDINST would throw random errors. Why? IDK. It was suggested that
> command line switches could be used to help correct the issue. However...

It would not be the first driver which is not always automatically
doing the right thing. However, DOS users are known to know what
they do, so you can include the driver in the distro. Simply drop
it from being part of the default config and autoexec :-) Same for
USB or network drivers. In FreeDOS 1.0, those would hang on some PC,
so it would have been better to not activate them by default. Still
it was good that they were included in the distro in general :-)

> Per a different suggestion, switched to using UDVD2 and the problems
> vanished. UDVD2 is by the same author...

Good point. UDVD2 is a good choice for those who want a CD/DVD driver
and need something newer than the latest open source version of XCDROM.

However, I would still include (but not default-activate) one of the
UIDE family drivers for those who want extra harddisk UDMA support.

Regards, Eric

PS: Why so many IBIBLIO files, how about Mateusz' updater repository?