On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 11:39:05AM -0600, Chris Parker wrote:
>I dislike having to install additional things just to read a manual page,
>or to edit it.  I'm just lazy I guess.  :)

The whole object of SGML and DocBook is to allow one to maintain a single
source from which one can produce html, text, or typeset text.  Once
converted to html, much of the interesting information is lost (such as the
ability to create automatic indexes).

I've got a script that creates normal html, single-document html (easier to
search and print), and text output from DocBook SGML input.  The fact that
DocBook automatically handles table of contents and the Index makes it far
more useful than if I had to do all this manually.

I must admit that I write most of my documentation initially in vi with
standard groff ``mm'' macros, and have written an mm2sgml script that does
a pretty good job of translating.  I find it a lot easier to handle lists
and tables this way than writing sgml manually, and I've been doing
documentation with the mm macros for the better part of 20 years so I'm
more comfortable with it.

As an amusing aside, I was talking to Phil Hughes, publisher of Linux
Journal, this weekend, reminiscing about the early days of the Seattle Unix
Group, where the original board members were etc., and he noted that one of
the original board members who worked for Phil's company SSC as a writer is
now at Microsoft doing technical writing.  Her boss at Microsoft was
talking to her, and asked what she was doing that made her five to six
times more productive than anybody else on the team.  Her reply was that
she writes everything with vi, then converts to M$-Word before submitting it.

Bill

``Liberty don't work as good in practice as it does in speeches.''
    Will Rogers

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html