Glen... I quite confused as to what you mean by tight and loose control...

Let us take the case of belief in a tight relationship between my height
off the ground and my likelihood of being injured in a jump. If I firmly
believe that, then whether or not I jump is tightly coupled with the
height. If I doubt such a relationship exists, then the height I find
myself at will be only loosely coupled with my likelihood of jumping...
right? Is that not the type of thing you are referring to with "tight" and
"loose" control?

Either way, Peirce is more interested in the higher-order question of what
leads beliefs to be stable. There are many answers to that question (see
his "Fixation of Belief"), though the interesting answer, the one he tries
to elaborate for the rest of his life, is fixation via the scientific
process, in which beliefs stabilize (control behavior more tightly) as
their implications attain in practice, and destabilize (control behavior
more loosely) as their implications fail to attain in practice. In that
context, the scientific context, "Truth" or "Real" are odd terms we use to
refer to those things for which all implications will attain in the very,
very long run.

(... which might, in the very, very long run, turn out to be almost
nothing...)

So, there is, on the one hand, something to be said about the "control"
that is the belief itself, and something else to be said about the
"control" that is the sociological stability of the belief and the basis of
that stability.

In your case of the "dead horse" of putting feet on the floor, the "tight
coupling" is what happens when one acts their entire daily life without
once checking the belief. Doubt makes one put ones feet down tentatively,
makes one walk with caution. The relation of the person to the floor gets
looser as doubt increases... doesn't it? The person who firmly believes the
floor is there acts towards it unhesitatingly the whole day, thousands of
times; his behavior is tightly coupled to a floor being present... as
becomes obvious in a dramatic fall if it isn't.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician
U.S. Marine Corps
<echar...@american.edu>