on 13/01/04 23:54, Kyle Hansen at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On 1/13/04 11:20 PM, "Bruce Alsobrook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Spew into the Cybertrough:
On Jan 13, 2004, at 4:22 PM, Dr. John Pullyblank wrote:Do keep in mind that anything you save to the hard drive after you have deleted a file may write over the data, so be careful.
Yet another argument for partitioning the hard drive into at least two parts.
Partitioning is not the best answer. Making a backup that is not stored on the same physical device is. Burn DVD's or use an external HD. Most times all partitions will be lost at one time when a device fails.
However, sometimes when you need to erase a disk, you can just erase and format that partition, and keep whatever is on the other(s)...
There are two reasons I've found for partitioning. One is the 8 Gb limit under OS X on some machines. The other is on my CD burning machine. I have a 1Gb partition for the OS and applications. All the data to be burned is on a second 3 Gb partition. I can either erase the partition or easily use Speed Disk to defrag it (I don't have to boot off the CD).
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting
"I'm a designated driver on the Information Super Highway"
-- G-Books is sponsored by <http://lowendmac.com/> and...
Small Dog Electronics http://www.smalldog.com | Refurbished Drives | -- Check our web site for refurbished PowerBooks | & CDRWs on Sale! |
Support Low End Mac <http://lowendmac.com/lists/support.html>
G-Books list info: <http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-books.html> --> AOL users, remove "mailto:" Send list messages to: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To unsubscribe, email: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> For digest mode, email: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subscription questions: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Archive: <http://www.mail-archive.com/g-books%40mail.maclaunch.com/>
---------------------------------------------------------------
The Think Different Store
http://www.ThinkDifferentStore.com ---------------------------------------------------------------
