You asked:

"So, G-Group: Why are you (still) PowerPC-based Mac users?"

I have been using Macs since the first one came out in the early 80s, used
Apple II's before that, plus DOS, Windows in all its incarnations, and
mainframes (ugh) before them in the '60s and 70's.

I am stuck using a PPC Mac because I have written three textbooks, each of
about 900 pp, and these are done in Pagemaker 7.0 that only runs in Classic.
The G4 running 10.4.x is the latest Mac that will run Classic.  I have several
of these, one active and the others in reserve to replace the active one as
they die, (the one I bought new in 2002 has done so already).

The books must be updated to new editions every 3-4 years.  The prospect of
redoing them in INDesign (which, IMHO, is inferior to PM in many ways) is
untenable.  I am too old to face that amount of work.  PM7 on Windows is
inferior to the Mac version for professional typesetting purposes in my
opinion.  So here I sit in front of a G4 MDD.

I am not a Luddite, however, I also have a new Mac Powerbook 17 running Snow
Leopard with Win XP running in Parallels on it as well.  Several Wintel
machines running XP, Vista, and Win7 round out the stable.   (I also write
commercial code in VB.Net on the PC platforms).

Nevertheless, the G4 Mirror Drive Door models are very good machines, with
respectable performance compared to the latest models, especially the later MDD
versions with 1.42 GHz Dual Processors, 2 gig of RAM, high-end video cards,
Firewire 800, etc.

I also find OSX 10.4.x very satisfactory even compared to Snow Leopard (which
admittedly has more bells and whistles).

Good luck with all your Power PC machines out there.  Keep them going.

Prof. N.