On Nov 2, 2011, at 5:40 AM, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:

> Took the ES-500 back for refund. Now wondering what to do next. The ES-750
> didn't work during the power outtage, wonder why? It didn't pop any warning
> lights
> or anything to let me know there was a problem. Not buying another one unless
> I know what was wrong with this one.
>
> My son has the identical unit and his worked fine.

Silly question : is the battery plugged in? I once did that to one of our
staffers, set her up with her new UPS (it was an old APC model) and went on my
way. About a month later she stopped me in the hallways and asked "What is that
UPS thing supposed to do? Whenever we have a power glitch it just beeps once
and the computer turns off." Me, VERY red-faced, go directly to her office and
connect the battery ...

Silly question: Is the computer plugged into the battery back-up side, and not
the surge protector side? I don't know if it beeps on power failure when
there's no load on the battery.

Less silly question: Make sure you don't have something like a laser printer
plugged into the battery side. Those pull way too much current starting up, and
most UPSes will not work if they're plugged in. I"m not sure what the ES series
does, but otherones don't work at all, just immediately go into a fault mode.

Test: Make sure whatever's plugged into it can take a power off condition and
unplug the UPS from the wall. It should start beeping at you, and things should
keep running.

With bad batteries the ES-500 should beep at you occasionally and show a yellow
(iirc, I don't have one of those in the office right now) Battery Fault LED.

Batteries are relatively cheap and readily available at Batteries
Plus....that's where we get our replacements, and the ones in those ES models
are a standard size sealed lead-acid used in a lot of different equipment.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona