On Nov 2, 2011, at 2:28 PM, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:

> OK GUYS, WHAT BRANDS DO YOU PREFER? not sure i want another APC now, am
> annoyed with them.

Well, I can understand the annoyance but you ARE getting their low-end stuff.

In our experience the ES series has been reasonably reliable in use, but our
servers and our own workstations are protected by SmartUPS models, not the
BackUPS series. The kicker is the cheapest of those is $330.

<http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SMT750&total_watts=50>

Batteries last a variable amount of time, but average about two-three years,
and we usually get a couple battery swaps before they die of something else.
Note, these are the ones living in hot dusty phone closets; our server racks
have their own rackmounted ones that are very expensive but rock solid.

I'm not sure anyone's low end equipment is any better. I've seen Belkin's stuff
die quite quickly, and have no experience with Tripp-Light (only ever used some
of their line conditioners on scientific instruments in the past. Those were
really good, but IIRC quite pricey at the time. Again, higher end stuff is
better.)

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona