The main problem for me was that I was not aware that the tophat tool had a
dependency on a command line tool outside of galaxy installation.  I see in the
admin interface that tophat has a dependency on samtools of type package and I
assumed that should provide the samtools binary.  Of course I have not read the
manuals regarding tool sheds, dependencies, etc so thats probably where my
problem started in the first place...