On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 13:31:04 -0400, Nate Coraor <n...@bx.psu.edu> wrote:
> Peter Cock wrote:
>> >
>> > Yeah, that's the idea.
>> >
>> > job_conf.xml:
>> >
>> > <?xml version="1.0"?>
>> > <job_conf>
>> >    <destinations>
>> >        <destination name="default" runner="local"/>
>> >        <destination name="pbs_default" runner="pbs">
>> >            <native_param name="queue">batch</native_param>
>> >        </destination>
>> >    </destinations>
>> >    <tools>
>> >        <tool id="upload1" destination="default"/>
>> >        <tool id="bowtie_wrapper" destination="pbs_default">
>> >            <resource type="cores">8</resource>
>> >        </tool>
>> >    </tools>
>> > </job_conf>
>> >
>> > pbs.py then knows to translate '<resource type="cores">8</resource>'
>> > '-l nodes=1:ppn=8'.
>> >
>> > Your tool can access that value a bunch, like .cores.
>> >
>> > The same should be possible for other consumables.
>> >

>> Sounds good. Would there be a global default setting somewhere in
>> universe.ini or elsewhere for when job_conf.xml didn't set a value?
>
> default_cluster_job_runner will remain for backwards compatibility, but
> we'll ship a sample job_conf.xml that runs everything locally by
> default.
>
> --nate

Haha, and I did that before realizing I could do just what I needed by
writing tool-specific pbs:// URLs at the end of the config file... I'm such
an idiot.

But I really like what you did of it and I have a couple of questions.

Concerning the single-threaded tools, what would happen if the number of
threads set in the xml file was >1 ?
Could it be possible to forbid a tool to run on a given node?

Thanks,
L-A