Hi Mike,
I just started a brand new instance with an account that is different from
the one used to create required AWS components and Cloudman came up just
fine, having started all of the required services.
Not that it should matter much, but are you instantiating a brand new
instance or recovering an existing one?
Are you able to ssh into the instance? If yes, Cloudman log is accessible
from /mnt/cm/paster.log so it should be possible to see what's going on.

Enis