Absolutely. I thought you were saying that it was easier in terms of code. If you are refering to the process of creating the files, then I agree. Though it is relatively easy to automate the splicing, so that all you have to do is fine tune individual files here and there.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall
To: <phi...@blastbay.com>; "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 04, 2013 6:45 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Why SAPI Output is Superior

Hi Philip,

Well, SAPI is easier because I don't have to record and edit a bunch
of new speech clips for the game. I've elected not to port it to Linux
or Mac OS right away so SAPI is ideal for what I am doing. If I do
decide to port it to another platform in the future I can write a
similar wrapper class for Speech Dispatcher etc and use the native TTS
engines for that platform. Make sense?

Hi Thomas,

I agree with all your points here. As I said in my prior post, if you don't

want to invest a lot of money in voices for the game then sapi is definitely

the way forward. However, one thing confuses me. You say you have already
written such wrapper classes, and given that, why is sapi any easier in
terms of coding? Sure there is a small amount of time required initially but

it's a trivial implementation that benefits you a great deal throughout the

entire coding process, especially when you have cross platform in mind. What

I mean is, sapi forces you to do less work but if you've already done that
work, that is no longer an issue.

All in all, I think you have made the right decision given the parameters -

no money spent, and maximum time efficiency.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall