Hi Clement,

That's true, but the point I was making that it is all relative. If
someone has the money or the desire to buy a number of SAPI voices
they can usually find one for each type of game that sounds
appropriate for the type of ambiance they want. Its certainly not a
perfect solution, but then again nothing ever is.

I agree that inflection is definitely a problem, and no matter how
high a quality the voice is inflection will always be a problem with
TTS systems. Although, I think some of the Apple voices do a pretty
good job at faking it. Its just a shame Apple hasn't ported them to
Windows platforms. :D

However, as has already been said from a cost analysis getting real
world actors to read every menu, button, status message, item, and
monster in the game can get quite expensive. Between the fact that we
are dealing with a very small community of gamers and the rate of
piracy a developer such myself has to weigh the costs of paying for
high quality voice acting verses what I will earn in sales. There is
no assurance if I pay out say two or three hundred in professional
voice actors that gamers will be lining up to buy the game at $30
each. However, if I use SAPI and lower the price to $20 people will be
less likely to pirate it so its a question of cost analysis and trying
to get the most effective solution for your dollar.