Well, then you also have to assume that the gamer in question has that many voices in the first place. lol It would be nice to be able to find a voice for each situation, but I find the issue then lies in inflection. Even with a deep voice, tts can only read things a certain way... and if a player in an rpg is streaming or giving commands, I'd much rather hear it with good feeling and inflection. But that's what I get for being a voice-acting nerd... lol. But of course, that's all my personal taste... and I do understand the cost implications and all the rest of it as well. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 04, 2013 10:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Why SAPI Output is Superior

Hi Charles,

That's definitely an advantage of SAPI output. Now, I happen to really
like Ivona Amy, she is probably the best British female SAPI voice
I've ever heard, but given your dislike for foreign accents it
wouldn't be ideal for you personally. The way those British voices say
things are slightly different than American voices and that is a turn
off for some people. The best solution therefore is to let people use
whatever they want.

Now, Philip has a point about atmosphere, but then again if a person
has a large number of SAPI voices they can often get a voice to suit
the atmosphere they are looking for. For instance,in Entombed I use
Realspeak Daniel, because I think a deep British voice is appropriate
for an RPG. For Jim's Football I use something like Realspeak Tom or
perhaps Ivona Joey because they make good sports announcers. If I were
playing a game like Tomb Raider and it had SAPI support I'd probably
use Ivona Amy since it is a good British female voice. Bottom line,
with the right voices a gamer can find the voice to suit the mood so
to speak. It doesn't have to be as bad as Microsoft Sam trying to be a
play by play announcer in Jim's Football or the narrator in Entombed.
Its all up to the player what they want in the end. :D

This is purely personal, but I hate hearing to "press entuh" instead of to "press enter". or to "stot game" rather than to "start game". This is why I

prefer SAPI, as long as I am selecting the voice to be used.  With
prerecorded speech, this cannot be done.