where do you get it and how much does it cost?

Thanks Amanda

From: "dark" <d...@xgam.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2014 8:33 PM
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] A Dark Room, now an IOS iPhone game

Hi.

Basically the game is a mix between resource management and an old fashioned dungeon style rpg (it rather reminded me of a dos game like fallthru or drone).

You have a village of slaves who work to get you resources like wood, fir, scales, teeth and such. You can build different buildings such as huts to increase your population size, or buildings like a tanary, smoke house or hunters lodge to give you access to other jobs to get more materials. That end of things is sort of similar to castaways.

The difference however is that you use these resources to not only expand your village but also build your rpg adventuring items, for example to enter dungeons and such you need torches which must be crafted from wood and cloth, while the backpack needs making from leather.

The rpg end of things reminds me of fallthru, since you are limited in the amount of things you can carry by your equipment, so even when you defeat a monster you might not be able to pick up all the loot, and you also need to make sure you have enough water, food etc to travel around and have encounters.

The game has some random events and encounters, and various locations to explore, though I've not got far in the exploring yet so I can't say how things like dungeons work exactly, still it's an interesting one.

One very odd mechanic is that the game is actually real time like a mud, but the developers have put a lot of work into making the game accessible. All new events get instantly spoken, whether random occurrences or standard things in your history, and even though everything in the game (including hits in battle), works on cool down timers with percentages this presents no access issues at all.

The only thing I haven't really got thus far is exactly how this fire thing is supposed to work, since while I keep stoking the fire in the main dark room hub of the game I'm not exactly sure what it does, though I'm guessing bad things happen if you ignore it for too long.

Beware the grue!